It’s no longer a big deal to find a reasonably priced place to stay when traveling. All the gratitude to Airbnb – an innovation that reshaped the rental housing market around the world. What’s interesting about Airbnb is how the business expanded so rapidly, simply providing homeowners a platform to rent their homes and rooms, and giving people who are traveling all over the globe a sense of home.
Moreover, witnessing the rise of annual Airbnb bookings to 1 billion and the growth rate of the global tourism industry to USD 11,382 Billion by 2025, investing in an Airbnb clone app to offer more services and advanced features would open up a lot of business opportunities for you.
But before you check out the Airbnb clone script and get the app booked, read this article to find out how the Airbnb clone app actually works? What are the features you need in your Airbnb clone? And what does its business model look like? And more.
HOW DOES AN APP LIKE AIRBNB WORK?
The Airbnb clone app would connect hosts who want to rent out space in their homes with guests seeking lodging at prices that are generally cheaper than a hotel. Guests can find the right listing using a variety of filters, a chat system would connect the guests directly to hosts, and digital payment options would allow them to pay securely through the app itself.
Airbnb Clone App for Hosts
- Register as a host and then list the space with all the details such as location, size, number of rooms, and others on the Airbnb clone app.
- Build the profile, add the details and the photos. Get it verified.
- Receive the reservations.
- Accept/Deny the request to book according to availability and requirements.
- Receive payment upon check-in by the guest.
- Serve the very best to your guests!
Airbnb Clone App for Guests
- Create the profile, and add the details.
- Search through dozens of properties based on multiple filters, such as dates, area, space, room/guest number, accommodation type, rental type, etc.
- Book a listing according to your preferences. You can either book it for immediate dates or for any future dates; immediately or by asking the host to book according to the options provided.
- Pay the amount via multiple payment options, such as a credit card, debit card, PayPal, eWallets, etc.
STRUCTURE OF AIRBNB CLONE APP
Before setting out for that attractive design and robust app features, let’s walk you through the entire Airbnb clone app structure.
Who owns a house or land and wants to rent/lease it. Admin collects Commissions from hosts upon each booking.
GuestsTravelers, families heading out on a holiday and/or professionals out on a work trip who want to live comfortably at reasonable rates. The admin receives a fee from the guests upon every booking in form of a convenience fee.
AdminOne who would venture out the business and manage all the hosts’ and guests’ activities.
It depends on the type of properties your hosts will be renting out – whether you want to rent out a home/personal property or a hotel room. For Airbnb like app, the audience would be:
- Travelers needing a simple and affordable place
- Commercial travelers
- Family travelers
- Travelers searching for a place to stay in a new city they are visiting
- People who are looking for additional income to earn can host
If you want to provide reservations for hotel stays along with private properties, the hoteliers would be your audience too.
- Website and app
- Administration team
- Online payment platforms like MasterCard, Visa, and PayPal
- App promotion and marketing activities
- Insurance schemes
- Host assistance
You’ll need a tech partner with a team of developers and a decent history of mobile app development projects to guide you through the languages and technical aspects to develop an app like Airbnb.
What needs to be focused:
- Application Framework
- Programming languages
- Cloud Storage and Hosting
- Voice and SMS API for SMS, Voice, and Phone Verification
- Messaging & Communication
- Global Payment
- SQL Data Storage
Either you can design a revenue model like Airbnb where you receive commission from both the sources on every booking. For instance, Airbnb charges the guests with 6-12% of the booking fee and hosts with 3% of the fee on every successful booking.
Or, you can design a model like Booking.com, where on every successful booking, the hosts would be charged a specific fee whereas no charges for guests.
Monetization model: How will your app make money?
Considering the fact that most apps are free at the point of installation, the app business model needs to be adjusted to equalize this. Hence, app monetization is a necessary aspect. There are lots of app monetization strategies and models in the market. Some more popular than the others. Two of the most popular monetization strategies for similar service providers like Airbnb are:
- Data Monetization
Considering the large app audience, a Data monetization model can be applied here. Whenever a user interacts with your app, they generate some data. This data information can be anonymized and quantified. It can provide valuable insights into customer behaviour. The data collected in this way can be used for a developer’s own needs to understand the user behaviour, when the app is used, where users interact with the app, and where to improve.
The biggest benefit of using this model is that it does not hinder user experience in any way. Another benefit is that it is platform independent, as the revenue is generated externally. Which means that there’s no commission with the app stores. And you do not have to worry about which platform your app is most prominent on.
- Referral program
Apps like Airbnb generally use the referral model for inexpensive user acquisition. You may think that referrals cost a lot of money, but it’s the opposite that is true. Not only is it inexpensive, but also has high ROI. The only major cost of your referral program is the amount you’re offering to your current users and new users, which by the way, isn’t as large as it seems.
Let us take a look at the referral program of the Airbnb app. When any current user of Airbnb refers the app to a non-user, both of them get a $20 credit towards a ride, bringing their user acquisition cost to $40. This number may seem high, but it isn’t. A case study shows that an average customer of Airbnb spends $95 per month, with 25% of those fees going straight into Airbnb’s pocket. They can easily benefit from these new users depending on the duration of that new customer’s life cycle in the app. So even if the initial investment sounds high, there are strategies with which you can generate ROI at the speed of light.
But to attain this, you need to brainstorm all the methods of monetization and find out the best one. As a development company, our developers not only dive deep into the app features but also bring out the best possible monetization strategy model for that app.
FEATURES OF AIRBNB CLONE APP
- Log-in/Sign-up: Users are required to log in with their pre-registered ids or create a new account by filling in details such as name, number, etc. They can also log in via their email address or social media channels.
- Profile: Manage personal information such as email identification, mobile number, birth date, gender, permanent address, notification preferences, etc.
- Notifications: Instant updates and text messages.
- Search Filter: To search for desired accommodation by filtering your travels including city, dates, room type, price range, amenities available, etc.
- Chat: Interact with the host through messages even before booking the stay.
- Payments: Select the payment method and pay in your desired currency. View the payment receipt and complete transaction history.
- Wishlist: Save the listing for the future.
- Booking: Check all the past and the upcoming bookings.
- Support: Users can access the FAQ parts and seek customer support in the event of misunderstanding with the bookings.
- Rate and Review: Users can share their experience with the hosts through rating and review.
- Sharing: Users can also invite friends to view the listings or download the app via social media accounts.
- Registration, Log-in, and Profile: Similar as guests.
- Listings: Handle all details related to the property, such as amenities, pricing, house rules, cancellation policy, and images.
- Reservations: To view all future bookings in a calendar form.
- Request: To approve or decline the reservation request of the user.
- Messaging: Communicating with visitors about the property and other questions the visitors have.
- Rate and Review: Each guest can be assessed and reviewed according to their conduct and behavior during the stay.
- Sharing: Hosts can also invite friends to download the app via social media accounts.
- Booking History: All previous bookings and the received payments can be tracked here.
- Dashboard: The admin dashboard for viewing all the members, sales report, emails and notifications, etc.
- Registration and Membership: Details of all the hosts and the users.
- Listings: Manage all listings and scrutinize their legalities and other processes of verification.
- Booking History: Manage all previous and new reservations.
- Feedback and Complaints: All guest and hosts’ feedback can be viewed here. Any complaints about the hosts or any guests can be processed and actions can be taken accordingly.
- Insights: Reports of all the hosts/guests activities, total earnings, etc. These detailed insights help in future decisions.
- Emails and Newsletters: To track the details of all the emails and the news sent out, published, unpublished, etc.
OTHER TOP NOTCH FEATURES OF AIRBNB CLONE SCRIPT
- Report Export
- Cloud Storage
- Social Media Integration
- Google Map Integration
- Profile Management
- Website Settings
- Responsive Website
- Host Penalty
- Listing Approval
Drawbacks of Clone apps
Before we move forward, it is important to keep in mind the drawbacks of clone apps and their alternative solutions. As cool as the app cloning approach sounds, it is not practical. Afterall, an original is worth more than a copy. With the proliferation of multiple cloning platforms, the overall quality and originality of mobile applications has taken a nosedive. Many entrepreneurs find themselves in the puddle of problems like up-charging, bad UI/UX, less scalability and poor functionality. As a part of the solution to these problems entrepreneurs generally take the middle approach, that is custom apps. Here, are a few drawbacks of clone apps and how custom apps can solve them:
- Scalability: Custom apps are built from scratch and can be customized upto greater extent based on the business needs. In clone apps, this is not possible.
- Poor Functionality and Quality: With cloned apps, you have to compromise the quality be it in terms of functionality or its appearance. Most clone apps do not deliver the quality. This can be eliminated if you take the custom app route. Because, if your app development project is in the hand of a professional developer, the high functionality of the app can be ensured.
- Ordinary User experience: Users are always looking for something unique. Nothing intrigues user attention as much as unique features do. Custom apps solve this problem as new features can be introduced and developed from the core.
- Lack of Advanced Features: With the app cloning approach, you have to go with the existing features of the original app, no matter whether they are useful or not. This extra baggage of unwanted app features can be eliminated if you go with a custom app approach.
- Non-lucrative: Now, you may think that creating an app by using the best app cloning platform is affordable. The quality of app functionality and appearance is quite low in clone apps. Therefore trying to salvage your app built with clone software may cost you even more than what you would have spent on a custom app.
- iOS App Store Law for Clone Apps: Apple has a set of rules for their App Store against clone apps. It states that apps built through app generation services, or by adapting commercialized templates will be rejected from launching on its store. Custom apps have never faced any such issues because of their originality, and will never do!
So, these were the drawbacks of clone apps. Still hung up on the low cost clone apps? Well the difference between custom and clone apps isn’t much. Can’t believe it? Read ahead.
How much does it cost to build an app like Airbnb?
Biztech Consultancy assures you affordable pricing for the successful execution of Airbnb like applications. While calculating the actual cost of developing an Airbnb app for Android and iPhone, the platform (Android or iOS) plays an important role as it affects the total hours of developers. Without discussing more on the pricing of developing apps like Airbnb, here is a brief analysis of estimation for Airbnb app development.
Aren’t you excited to get your Airbnb clone app? We are excited about your business!
Before we tell you how we can help you, let’s have a quick look at the successful rental businesses that have the Airbnb like business model.
Successful Airbnb like Business Model
HomeAway, a company started in 2005 is the largest provider of vacation rentals covering millions of vacation rentals, apartments, cabins, and cottages in 190 countries. It runs numerous brands including VRBO, Vacationrentals.com, BedandBreakfast.com, Travelmob (Asia), Homelidays (France), OwnersDirect (UK), Abritel (France), Stayz (Australia), Bookabach (New Zealand) and FeWo-Direkt (Germany) with same booking policies. HomeAway has made its way to non-urban destinations with an average monthly download of 8,052.
This is the largest marketplace to rent out wheel accommodations such as RVs, motorhomes, campervans, Airstreams, toy trailers, VW vans, etc. Started in 2015, they are rapidly expanding their global foot with hundreds and thousands of rental days booked. The business model of Outdoorsy is mostly similar to Airbnb as they offer the same rental services but in different modes. Travelers looking for adventures or wanting to stay in the wilderness can turn towards Outdoorsy.
It is run by TripAdvisor and has all the benefits of TripAdvisor reviews and an enormous inventory of vacation homes, i.e. nearly 300,000 properties in approximately 160 countries. It offers the best verification program, and is known as the “vacation rental market-place”. It does not, however, offer shared rooms with other guests such as dorms but features such as the kid-friendly, dog-friendly, or waterfront in their properties. It also offers a variety of booking methods including inquiries, reservation requests, instant bookings and many more!
Did you know 350 million travelers use TripAdvisor every month?
Woah! It’s amazing how these companies have grown.
You can be one of them. All you need is to decide whether or not you want to serve a specific location or cover a larger area and then the right partner to give your application a strong foundation.
With 13 years of technological expertise, BiztechCS can help you build an online booking app with all the features of Airbnb. You want to integrate a verification process like Flipkey or discounts like Roomorama, we’ve got it all sorted for you.